Staff Engineer / Sr. Software Engineer
Preferred Name: Shah ▪ 2355 Fifth Line West, Unit 33, Mississauga, Ontario, Canada, L5K 2M8
- 8 years of TDD/DDD with Ruby on Rails, as well as React/Apollo/GraphQL/TypeScript, Terraform/AWS/Docker, Elasticsearch, Buildkite/CI/CD, Blue-Green Deployments, and Progressive Delivery with LaunchDarkly
- 8 years in an Agile XP team environment with daily pair programming and/or mob programming
- 4 years with C#, ASP.NET (WebForms, MVC), SQL Server, and Entity Framework
- Engineering leader recognized for shaping team culture in order to:
- Increase psychological safety
- Reduce the 5 dysfunctions of a team
- Accelerate innovation through engineering leverage
Nulogy, Permanent Full-time, Jan 2014 - Nov 2021
Staff Engineer, Jul 2020 - Nov 2021
- Co-led operationalization of the concepts of Value Demand, Failure Demand, and Engineering Improvements to streamline departmental communication between leadership and teams. Increased feature delivery sustainability by enabling effective handling of investments into tech debt reduction and security issues.
- Oversaw development of the flagship monolith by supporting multiple teams with project discovery, architecting, technical design, and release planning. Teams were more aligned with the technical vision. Issues surfaced by them could be quickly addressed through prioritization of the appropriate engineering improvements.
- Devised a way to embed a kind of "micro-frontend" architecture in the monolith which allowed React + Apollo + GraphQL + TypeScript + Nulogy Design System to be used without massive rewrites of the app. The UI can now be modernized incrementally.
- Leveraged Buildkite/Terraform/Terragrunt/AWS to steward multiple engineering improvements to the CI/CD pipeline. For example, led the introduction of Incremental Deployments such as Linear/Canary. This reduced the risk of negative impact for changes that cannot be feature-flagged such as an OS upgrade to the app containers.
Sr. Software Engineer / Tech Lead, May 2018 - Jun 2020
- Led a complex migration to add versioning to a 10-year-old core domain model called the Bill of Materials (BOM Versioning). Continuously increased safety in order to avoid incidents in this mission-critical component of the monolith. Through this engineering challenge, led the team to become the highest performing at Nulogy. Project completed with minimal quality issues. Customers saw immediate yearly savings of six figures.
- Co-led the adoption of continuous delivery in the flagship monolith. This resulted in Nulogy becoming an Elite Performer according to the "Four Key Metrics" in DevOps—a many orders of magnitude improvement. Savings were estimated to be $366k yearly after a less than 3-month ROI.
- Received a Star Award, the highest employee recognition, for leadership in adopting continuous delivery. One of two Nulogites to ever receive this award twice.
Software Engineer, Jan 2014 - May 2018
- Co-led the adoption of a continuous learning habit on the team called "First Pomodoro". This practice spawned organizational capabilities such as an Incident Management process, and improved practices such as Domain Driven Design, and Lean Change Management.
- Introduced the Elastic stack (ELK) in order to migrate a process of querying 300 GB of server logs using a SQL database to instead use Elasticsearch. Improved query times from hours to milliseconds. This increased productivity for many departments. The Global Support team received the biggest productivity boost and were able to service customers more effectively.
- Leveraged the Elastic stack to move the company more towards data-driven decisions. Early successes included building an enhanced report that was immediately adopted because the Elastic stack helped decide where to promote it in the app.
- Received a Star Award, the highest employee recognition, for outstanding contribution through increasing psychological safety, introducing the ELK stack, promoting continuous learning, and community outreach.
Software Producer, Contract Full-time, Three Point Turn Inc., May 2013 - Aug 2013
- Took the initiative to reduce a third-party manual deployment GUI built on Flex into a one-click publishing scenario by spoofing all the web service calls of the steps necessary. Reduced cumulative daily deployment times from tens of minutes to seconds.
Software Development Engineer, Co-op, CatMedis Healthcare Inc., Sep 2009 - Dec 2010, May 2011 - Aug. 2011
- Developed and documented a state-of-the-art incident reporting system named SafePoint™ in ASP.NET MVC 3 with Entity Framework, SQL Server, jQuery, Workflow Foundation, and the latest HTML5 using Google Chrome Frame. Deployed SafePoint™ to 3 hospital sites within the first year of it being live and the system averaged 10 incident reports per day.
.NET Developer, Co-op, University Health Network (SIMS), Jan 2009 - Apr 2009
- Built a system of .NET (C# 3.5) and SQL Server enterprise applications (WinForms and WebForms) for auditing UHN physicians' chart completion after patient discharge.
Systems Analyst, Co-op, GlaxoSmithKline Pharmaceuticals, May 2008 - Aug 2008
- Carried out independent research and evaluated possible mobile device platforms to create an efficient way for the Public Affairs & Reimbursement division to send "Thank You" emails/letters. Developed a solution using ASP.NET C# and Oracle SQL Developer.
BASc, Computer Science - Software Engineering Specialist
University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, December 2013
University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, December 2013